This will be a very simplistic of how I understand LBRY / Odysee to work.
For a more detailed technical explination visit https://lbry.tech/overview
When you install the LBRY app it allows you to publish content and view content that others have published.
Scenario: Bob wants to view a video called XYZ.mp4 This is what happens in the background.
1. The Bob's LBRY app announces over the network "Hey all you other LBRY apps out there, I'd like to watch video XYZ.mp4"
2. If any of the other LBRY apps have XYZ.mp4 then they relply "I have that file (or part of it) I'd be happy to send it to you"
3. If there are many apps out there with the file then it streams much faster to Bob (Less Buffering)
4. If no app has the file then Bob is unable to view it (very sad)
5. While Bob is watching the video it gets saved to Bob's hard drive in little 2MB chunks
6. As long as Bob's LBRY app is online it listens for other people's requests for any file it's downloaded
7. If Bob has a file that other people requested then Bob's LBRY app shares it with them.
So if everyone who uses the LBRY app watches XYZ.mp4 AND keeps LBRY running in the background then XYZ.mp4 is readily available for LBRY users to watch.
If very few people watch XYZ.mp4 then it's less available and may buffer (depends on their upload speeds)
What is Oysee?
Odysee is a public front facing website for the LBRY network. It's very much like Youtube.
Odysee is run by the LBRY company LBRY Inc.
Odysee's content is filtered, so no porn.
Odysee uses pretty much the exact same technology as the LBRY app
Every video on Odysee is viewable in the LBRY app. Not every video on the LBRY network is viewable on Odysee (porn)
The main difference is that when you view a video on Odysee, you are just viewing not sharing it (leeching)
Make sure that you have plenty of free hard drive space on your computer when running the LBRY app!
I try to optimize the size of my videos so they are of a reasonable size but some other people don't.
Over the past year and a half I've watched over 2000 video files for a grand total of about 460GB of HD use.
On Windows the video files are stored in %localappdata%\lbry\lbrynet\blobfiles
It usally looks something like this: C:\Users\Derekered\AppData\Local\lbry\lbrynet
If you are running out of hard drive space it is safe to delete the files in the directory.
Then rewatch my videos so you can help seed them 🙂
You can also set the save location to a different hard drive https://lbry.com/faq/how-to-change-lbry-blob-files
I hope this helps, If not please ask more questions
-- May your mouth be filled with cock and your stomach be filled with cum.